Film Camera Experimentation

For this shoot I used a Mamiya medium format film camera. I used black and white film so we were able to process them in college. I took the back off of the camera so I could put the film inside. I also had to use a light meter, so I knew what the Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed would be at in different surroundings. I went outside to take my pictures against a yellow wall. I took pictures of there people, I took pictures of them separately and then one where they were altogether. I out the light meter up against their face and got the reading for the ISO, Aperture and Shutter. The light meter I was using was an incidental light meter reading, which measures the light falling on a small or specific area of a subject that I photographed. A medium format camera is extremely different to a modern day DSLR. A medium format camera has manual settings and needs a light meter to determine the ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed, however on a modern day DSLR the camera settings are automatic. Also a medium format camera is a lot bigger and heavier, it is portable but for me it was very difficult to carry it for a long period of time. However, with a DSLR camera they are a lot smaller and lighter and with a DSLR camera you can get straps for them so they can hang from your neck so you don’t have to carry it with your arms for long periods of time.

Once I had finished taking pictures I then had to go into the dark room and put the roll of film into the spool without exposing it to any light whatsoever, so my group and I had to be in complete darkness. Doing this was fairly difficult as we couldn’t see, however, we got there in the end and managed to get the film on the spool successfully. Once we had done that I then put the film into a light tight box, this is where I would put the chemicals in so I could process the film. I then set up all the chemicals, which was the developer, the stop and the fix. I left the developer in for nine minutes, I then emptied it out and out the stop straight in for five minutes and then after that I emptied the stop and put in the fix for another five minutes. The developer, develops the image, the stop, stops the developer, and the fix stops it from being light sensitive. As soon I took out the fix I washed it out with water. I then rung out the film and hung it up to dry. All of my images came out really well, none of them were under or over exposed. Overall this shoot was early successful, as I was able to use the light meter to correct the manual camera settings, and also all of my images came out really well, which I wasn’t expecting as I’ve never done it before.

Here is what I produced:

img_3926

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s